The Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus contains 140,000 entries and more than 1.4 million words, developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.
Populated using the renowned WordNet lexical database, instead of following the standard dictionary format, the dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms and interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to a straightforward definition, the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.
The dictionary contains straightforward and precise definitions of over 140,000 words, with synonyms and antonyms alongside similar and related words to help you make your writing and speech more interesting. You'll find examples that illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations.Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of words while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
- Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more using the included special language notes.
- See words in context with example sentences.
- 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.