With definitions for 170,000 words, the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary is compiled to offer what learners need most in a dictionary. This Second Edition offers new, up-to-date vocabulary, 'mini-collocation' boxes, and frequency information to highlight the most important words to learn.
Definitions include common grammar, style, and usage labels; over 90,000 examples that show you how English is used in context to write natural English; and over 200 'Common Learner Error' notes, based on the Cambridge Learner Corpus from Cambridge ESOL exams.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of words while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
- Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more using the included special language notes.
- See words in context with example sentences.
- 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.