The Cambridge Dictionary of American English is based on the 200 million-word English corpus that shows which words and phrases are really used in current American English. It features some 40,000 word definitions and is compiled to offer what learners need most in a dictionary.
Definitions are organized by meaning to help learners use English effectively, and there's also a 2,000-word defining vocabulary to help make definitions easy to understand. You'll also find Language Portraits to provide in-depth explanations of difficult grammar, vocabulary, spelling, and punctuation.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of words while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
- Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more using the included special language notes.
- See words in context with example sentences.
- 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.