This app bundles the Collins English Dictionary Complete & Unabridged and the Collins Thesaurus of the English Language in one complete language and reference solution.
The dictionary features the latest vocabulary based upon Collins’ 2.5 billion word database, complete with 6,000 biographical entries and key expressions and example sentences. Usage notes give advice on using the right word in the right place, while cultural notes on life and language accompany thousands of etymologies that trace the roots of modern English.
The thesaurus lets you find key synonyms for each sense, offering the most accurate alternative language. Opposites provide you with another way of expressing yourself, along with a wide range of Idioms and included phrases. Illustrative examples from real English show how the entry word is used, while the 550 subject word lists add an extra dimension to your vocabulary.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality Oxford language apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of words while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more using the included special language notes.
- See words in context with example sentences.
- 'Word-of-the-day' and 'Flashcards' to help expand your vocabulary.
- Fun and engaging word games like 'Hangman', 'Word scramble' and 'Anagrams' let you perfect newly-learned words.