Not Your Operating System?
Our Top ProductOfficeSuite Professional
- Audio Dictionaries
- Other Languages
- Dictionary Bundles
- PONS Dictionaries
- Oxford Dictionaries
- Cambridge Dictionaries
- Collins Dictionaries
- VOX Dictionaries
- Catalan Dictionaries
- Health & Lifestyle
- Travel Guides
Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary
|Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is a user-friendly dictionary designed to address the needs of both English-speakers and learners of English at upper-intermediate and advanced levels. All those who use English as a native or foreign language, whether high school and university students, professionals, or the general public, will find it a useful addition to their library.|
The dictionary contains over 50,000 main and sub-entries, reflecting the status of English as the international language of communication.
Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is both a teaching and learning tool. Its goal is not only to provide information, but also to teach active and appropriate use of words and phrases. Meanings are explained in simple vocabulary and grammar, without the use of abstract terms. The typical examples of usage, rich in collocations, are corpus supported and are taken from everyday life. The entries are packed with a wealth of information. Irregular plurals, spellings, pronunciations and phonetic transcriptions are all indicated. Nouns show countability or uncountability. Verb entries show principle parts and irregular spellings. Irregular adjective and adverb comparative and superlative forms are indicated. Usage is indicated by labels such as formal, informal and slang. Notes are provided to cover grammatical problems in English, and other points that may be confusing for non-native users of the dictionary. Both British and American forms, meanings, spellings and pronunciations are given. In addition, the dictionary is both culturally neutral and gender-unbiased.
To avoid overcrowding of the text, each headword starts on a new line, and includes the relevant antonyms, cross-references, etc.
Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is completely up-to-date, with present-day expressions and vocabulary in science, technology, communications, the arts and humanities. A rich set of appendices provides a wealth of encyclopedic knowledge on a broad variety of topics, while headwords appear in color.
The MSDict Dictionary Format
The dictionary is powered by the MSDict technology especially enhanced for iPhone and iPod with the following key benefits:
- Colorful and feature-rich user interface with faster and easier word access
- Customizable two-pane user interface (for iPad)
- Quick search of terms while you type
- Fast hyperlinks between words and articles
- Fast article scrolling
- Bookmarks as a learning tool, allowing you to create your own topics and wordlists
- History of last visited terms and articles
- Font size control for easier reading
- No connection to the Internet required, so browse anytime and anywhere with no additional charges
- “Word of the day” and “Random word” feature
- Includes exciting new word games like Hangman, Word Scramble and Anagrams to facilitate the learning process
Can’t find the word you are looking for? Three kinds of filters will help you locate that elusive word.
- Fuzzy filter – used when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
- Keyword – used to locate the instances of a key word within other compound words
- Wild card – “?” and “*” replace a letter and group of letters in words to broaden your search
© 2013 Mobile Systems, Inc. All Rights Reserved