The American Heritage English Dictionary is one of the most comprehensive and accessible resources available on any mobile device. It's is the perfect solution to use at school, in the office, or at home!
Exhaustively researched and thoroughly revised, the Fifth Edition of the American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language contains 10,000 new words and phrases, over 4,000 dazzling new full-color images, and authoritative, up-to-date guidance on usage. Thousands of definitions have been revised in rapidly changing fields such as astronomy and biology, geographical entries and maps have been completely updated, and the dictionary’s signature feature notes on word history, synonymy, and language variation have all been enhanced and improved.
Word meanings are made easier to understand with thousands of new quotations from classic and contemporary writers. Etymologies explaining word origins and development have been newly created or revised to reflect the very latest scholarship. Many words are traced back to their roots in prehistory through two unique appendixes showing word roots in ancient Indo-European and Semitic.
Now completed with the American Heritage® Roget’s Thesaurus (available in the full version), which offers an intelligent and sensible guide to synonym selection. It provides a wide range of synonyms, ranging from mainstream vocabulary to the colorful alternatives that make English such a rich and versatile language. Thousands of slang, informal, and regional words broaden the coverage even further. Each synonym list focuses on a clear definition that quickly orients the user to the relevant meaning.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.
Intelligent search integrates several tools to match or suggest what you are looking for:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Voice search function
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
- ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- ‘Word of the day’ section to expand your vocabulary daily
- Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
- *NEW* Split screen support for Android 7 allowing you to use dictionary together with other apps
Get MORE by purchasing the full version of the American Heritage English Dictionary and Thesaurus:
- Feature-complete license for unlimited time
- American Heritage® Roget’s Thesaurus
- Offline mode - look up words without an internet connection
- Premium Support – our support team will help you