McGraw-Hill’s Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs covers the full breadth and scope of idiomatic American English, making it an invaluable resource for ESL students as well as writers, scholars, and public speakers. It provides a practical reference to the idiomatic and verbal expressions of contemporary American English, from proverbial expressions to idioms and phrasal verbs.
Thanks to the efforts of noted lexicographer Richard A. Spears, mastering American English idioms has never been easier. You'll find more than 24,000 entries and 27,000 senses with concise definitions and examples. There is also guidance on proper tone and social context, alongside a comprehensive Phrase-Finder index of more than 60,000 entries that lets you locate phrases by key words, including common particles in two-part verbs.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.Intelligent search integrates several tools to match or suggest what you are looking for:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Voice search function
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
- ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- ‘Word of the day’ section to expand your vocabulary daily
- Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
- *NEW* Split screen support for Android 7 allowing you to use dictionary together with other apps
Get MORE by purchasing the full version of the Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs:
- Feature-complete license for unlimited time
- Offline mode - look up words without an internet connection
- Premium Support – our support team will help you