WordNet® is a large lexical database of English with up to 140,000 entries and more than 1.4 million words, developed by the Cognitive Science Laboratory at Princeton University.
Instead of following the standard dictionary format, the WordNet dictionary is organized with an innovative and convenient approach. Nouns, verbs, adjectives and adverbs are grouped into sets of cognitive synonyms, interlinked by means of conceptual-semantic and lexical relations. In addition to the straightforward definition the dictionary shows how each word is linked to other words in terms of synonyms, opposites and similar words, but also hyponyms and hyperlinks within the group.The resulting network of meaningfully related words and concepts:
- helps you to better understand the word meanings
- facilitates the quick finding of the correct meaning
- allows you to quickly memorize words
- Straightforward and precise definitions of over 140,000 words with more than 250,000 links and 1.4 million words.
- Synonyms, antonyms, similar and related words to help you make your writing and speech more interesting.
- Hypernyms (more generic words), hyponyms (subordinate words) and meronyms (part names)
- Examples illustrate how words are used and show typical constructions and collocations.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.Intelligent search integrates several tools to match or suggest what you are looking for:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Voice search function
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
- ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- ‘Word of the day’ section to expand your vocabulary daily
- Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
Get MORE by purchasing the full version of the Advanced English Dictionary & Thesaurus:
- Feature-complete license for unlimited time
- Offline mode - look up words without an internet connection
- Premium Support – our support team will help you
What's NewVersion 5.1.024:
- Completely redesigned user interface and experience
- Ability to share word definitions
- ‘Word of the Day’ feature
- New camera search function
- Performance improvements