The Practical Encyclopedia of Boating provides comprehensive information on boat maintenance, navigation, handling in all kinds of weather, the physics of how boats function, and other topics every sailor and powerboater needs to know. Its 500 entries address virtually every aspect of powerboating and sailing.
Inside you'll find information on seamanship and boat handling, navigation, routine boat maintenance, boat design and building, and nautical reference data. Entries range from vital techniques such as recovering overboard crew and measuring distances off, to essential concepts like reading the water and sky and evaluating a boats seaworthiness. Features numerous cross-references and an exhaustive index to direct you quickly to the right entry and to unify related topics.
“You name it, it’s in here. Covers every boating situation. This book is both informative and entertaining.”--Latitudes & Attitudes
"John Vigor is the answer guy if youre having onboard arguments about nautical terminology or the science of sailing in general, and his new book lives up to the promise in its title."--Good Old Boat
Also includes advanced search tools and features that have become the staple of quality reference apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find terms quickly by displaying predictions in line with what you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of terms while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a term.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound phrases.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a term.
- Download reference definitions locally for offline access.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your knowledge of the subject:
- A 'Favorites' feature to memorize terms from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum terms.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up terms.
- See terms in context with examples.
- 'Term-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.