The Collins Cobuild Intermediate Dictionary is the perfect language tool for English language learners. The information in this dictionary has been carefully chosen you can succeed as a confident language user and will enable you to write and understand better English.
You will find all the words you need, defined clearly in full sentences completed with:
- 17,000 headwords
- 63,000 references
- 25,000 examples
- NEW! Translate words in any other Android app with the Tap to Translate feature, and do it in style with any of the four colorful new themes.
The Collins Cobuild Intermediate Dictionary is based on a huge database of text, both written and spoken, called The Bank of English. The Bank of English® contains over 650 million words, and it is the basis of all the statements that Cobuild makes about the language. The entries contain a detailed account of the main uses and meanings of each word. Each of the forms is listed at the start of each entry, along with information about alternative spellings, if any exist. Explanations are written in full sentences, and show typical grammatical behavior. The explanations also give a clear description of meaning. And of course, the thousands of examples are taken directly from The Bank of English®, showing typical patterns of use and grammatical structure.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface
Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience the dictionary combines several search tools to match or suggest what you are looking for, including:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Use our Voice search when you don't know how an entry is spelled.
- NEW! Tap to Translate entries in other apps.
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies the way you see fit the 'Favorites' option allows you to create custom folders with lists of words from the vast library of entries.
- ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- Learn a new word every day with our ‘Word of the day’ option.
- Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
Get MORE by purchasing the full version:
- Permanently unlock the complete features list.
- Offline mode - No WiFi, no problem. Save words on your device to be viewed without the need of an internet connection
- Priority support – Get expedited support for any app-related issues