The Common American Phrases in Everyday Contexts is a useful guide to everyday American English, aimed at understanding meaning and avoiding difficulty in translation.
This new edition features 1,900 of the most common phrases and colloquial expressions used in contemporary American English, as transcribed by noted lexicographer Richard A. Spears. Here you will discover greetings, good-byes, and everyday small talk that Americans use daily. Each entry includes examples or short dialogues that illustrate how phrases are used in everyday speaking, as well as usage restrictions or warnings for those situations when a phrase may be inappropriate. Shortened or abbreviated expressions are cross-referenced to their complete forms, plus a Phrase-Finder Index helpa with quick and easy reference.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of words while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
- Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more using the included special language notes.
- See words in context with example sentences.
- 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.