The Concise Oxford English Dictionary is the most popular dictionary of its kind and is noted for its clear, concise definitions as well as its comprehensive and authoritative coverage of the vocabulary of the English-speaking world. Available in both British & American voice versions, this dictionary consists of over 50,000 audio pronunciations of both common and rare words, including words with controversial pronunciation or with variant pronunciations.
The Most Popular Dictionary Worldwide:
- Over 240,000 words, phrases, and definitions, covering technical and scientific vocabulary as well as English from around the world
- Hundreds of new words and phrases, based on the latest research from the Oxford English Corpus
- Hundreds of usage notes on tricky vocabulary and grammar usage
- 50,000 audio pronunciations
- NEW! Translate words in any other Android app with the Tap to Translate feature, and do it in style with any of the four colorful new themes.
More than 100 years after its first publication, the 12th edition of this world-famous bestseller gives the most up-to-date picture of the English language today. The original 1911 edition, revolutionary at the time for its focus on current English and its use of illustrative examples, combined a succinct yet approachable style with coverage of everyday as well as specialist terms. This centenary edition continues this ground-breaking tradition, giving you rich authoritative coverage of English as it is used today.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.Designed to provide the most comprehensive search experience the dictionary combines several search tools to match or suggest what you are looking for, including:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- Looking for a specific word but don't know how it's spelled? We've got you covered with our automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Use our Voice search when you don't know how an entry is spelled.
- NEW! Tap to Translate entries in other apps.
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- Designed to give you the freedom to structure your studies the way you see fit the 'Favorites' option allows you to create custom folders with lists of words from the vast library of entries.
- ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- Learn a new word every day with our ‘Word of the day’ option.
- Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
Get MORE by purchasing the full version:
- Audio pronunciation - Learn words faster by listening to how they're pronounced
- Offline mode -No WiFi, no problem. Save words on your device to be viewed without the need of an internet connection
- Priority support – Get expedited support for any app-related issues