Features & Settings
- Supports standard Internet mail protocolos: POP3, IMAP, SMTP; as well as Microsoft’s EWS protocol for Exchange.
- Main window shows all folders selected for synchronization at a glance.
- Messages are loaded one page at a time as needed, scroll to bottom to load more.
- Mail check time is independent of the number of messages.
- Supports viewing plain text and rich text messages, including embedded images.
- Supports rich text formatting when composing messages including in the signature (bold/italic/underline, font size, font color, embedded images, typeface).
- Fast attachment loading, attachment caching.
- Flexible mail check scheduling.
- Sound, LED, vibration notifications for new mail and errors. Per account notification options.
- Silent mode for nights and weekends.
- Preloads new message text and attachments (up to specified limits) when checking mail. Full message text is loaded on demand, when a message is viewed.
- Can load full message text and attachments if put into background (pressing the Home key).
- Support for SSL and TLS encryption.
- A home screen widget with unread / total message counts that can be set to an account or a specific folder, and a message list widget. Both have several built-in themes.
- Separate settings for WiFi vs. mobile network (including a separate outgoing mail server setting for WiFi, if needed).
- IMAP: IDLE (push email), instant incoming message notifications (if supported by the server).
- IMAP and EWS: messages can be moved between folders.
- Smart Folder - grouping all messages that might need further attention.
- Per-folder color indicators.
- Message navigation without leaving the message view (two variations on swiping).
- Swipe actions in message list. Swipe navigation between messages.
- Android Wear support.
- Calendar sync for Exchange accounts.
- Push mail for Exchange accounts (Pro version only).
- Contact sync for Exchange accounts.
- Message grouping (conversations).
Did you find this helpful?3 7
To be able to access folders other than your Inbox, IMAP or EWS connection to the server is required. POP3 does not support individual folders.
There are two ways to access folders from AquaMail: on an “as needed” basis, or by setting certain folders to sync (keeping them up to date, just like the Inbox).
Start from the title bar or the side bar of any other folder’s message list and choose “Other folders…”. This item is also present when moving messages between folders, and also, on tablet sized devices, in the account list.
When accessing folders this way, recently accessed ones will be shown in the folder view (dropdown or side bar) and the account list. They are removed from the recent list automatically, over time, or manually via a long press on a “recent” folder to clear it. To change how long the app keeps recent folders and how many, please go to Settings -> Account list.
To enable or disable the “Other folders…” entry in the account list, please go to Settings > Manage accounts > Select your account > Options > Account options > Enable "Show Other folders...".
“Setting to sync”:
You can set any folder to sync (every time the app checks mail in the account) which will also make it always visible in the account list for easy access.
Go to Settings > Manage accounts > Select your account > Folders > Tap a folder, choose how it should be synced (most likely “Sync, plain folder”).
To clear a folder’s “set to sync” setting, go back to this screen and choose “Do not sync” for a folder you don’t need to be kept up to date all the time. There is a “+” icon in the top right on this screen (“Manage folders…”) to create a server folder.
If you delete any folders that are set to sync in the app (using web mail, or another mail app), please bring up Account Options / Folders in Aqua Mail to sync its folder list with the server.
Did you find this helpful?2
Open Settings on the app’s main window go to "Data Storage" > "Backup & Restore".
You can back up your accounts and folder settings, and optionally include the app’s settings.
The backup file is optionally encrypted with a password (of your choosing) which will be required to restore. Make sure to remember or write down this password.
Aqua Mail lets you backup & restore from cloud based storage (Google Drive, OneDrive, Box.com, Dropbox are supported) or the phone's internal storage. The files are stored in "backup/AquaMail" if this option is chosen.
Actual messages are not archived or restored. The app will re-sync them from the mail server(s).
Did you find this helpful?15 6
Each account has a setting for the default way to delete messages. The initial setting is “move to deleted first, delete from server when purging the deleted folder”.
To change the default: Go to Settings > Manage Accounts > Select your account > Options > Account Options > Deleting messages > Select "Hide in the app, keep on the server"
This will change the default action icon for deleting messages from this account to “hide”. Hidden messages can be restored by using the menu in the message list view.
Note: It is not really necessary to delete messages from the app — old messages are automatically removed over time without affecting the server, keeping storage usage under control. Aqua Mail by default keeps the 250 most recent messages per folder (this can be changed in each account’s Folders and Options as “messages to cache”).
Did you find this helpful?1
Shared folders are typically used by several members of the same team for tasks, emails, etc.
In order to connect to a shared mailbox Aqua Mail will look for the Inbox, Sent Items, Deleted, Spam, etc. which may not always be available.
There is also no good way currently to support viewing a shared Calendar.
What you can try:
Go to Settings > Manage Accounts > Select your account > Options > Exchange options > Make sure that Sync all folders under Calendar is enabled
Did you find this helpful?3
Attachments are downloaded into the specified folder (by default, /download) as needed. This folder is under your full control, you can remove unneeded files at any time.
When using POP3, attachments are also saved into a hidden folder on the phone’s internal storage during scheduled mail checking, this is called caching. A cached attachment will be moved into the /download folder without having to download it from the server.
When using IMAP attachments are loaded as needed. There is a setting under Settings > Manage Accounts > Options > Account options to preload and cache attachments up to a specified limit (set per message).
Note: you can change the default download location in Settings > Data storage > Folder for saving attachments.
Did you find this helpful?1 6
Aqua Mail allows for advanced customization of Push mail. There are three configuration options:
- For the entire app
- For a specific account
- For a specific folder or folders
- For the entire app: This is enabled by default. It is accessible via Settings -> Mail, receiving.
- For an account: This is disabled by default. You can change it via Settings > Manage accounts > Select your account > Options > Account options > Push mail.
- For a folder or multiple folders: This is enabled by default for the main Inbox folder, but is disabled for other folders. You can change it via Settings > Manage accounts > Select your account > Folders. Find the required folder, tap the name and set it “to sync”, then tap the gear icon for the same folder (settings) on the right to enable Push mail.
Did you find this helpful?6 2
From within your message, tap on the Menu -> Copy/Send/Share/Print > Select Send/Share/Print message text. Then choose your printing app from the app selection window. This method allows you to copy the text of the message without formatting.
Choose Google Cloud Print instead to print the message with formatting.
Did you find this helpful?1
Aqua Mail offers customization of your synchronization options per account and on a global level.
The global setting is located under the Mail, receiving section. The Per-account setting is located in Settings > Manage Accounts > Select your account > Options > Account Options > Messages to sync & Messages to cache.
Note: The per-account setting allows for both synchronization by number of messages and number of days.
Did you find this helpful?
The Smart Folder allows you to access important messages from more than one account, in the same place.
It can display all unread, starred as well as recently sent or read messages. How recent these messages are is also configurable.
The intent of the Smart Folder is to display any e-mails that might still require your attention.
In other words, this is the list of messages that might require attention, or that you might need to come back to.
This folder is enabled by default, but can be disabled in Settings > Smart Folder > Enable Smart Folder.
Did you find this helpful?3 16
Aqua Mail supports swiping back and forward within your e-mail messages. To do this simply swipe either right (forward) or left (back) at the top of the message, near the sender information.
This can also be turned off in Settings > Swiping > In messages view
Did you find this helpful?1
Aqua Mail uses thespell checker built into the system. This has been possible since Android 4.0. You can enable it in the device’s system settings, under Languages and Input. Once this is done, spell checking will be automatically enabled in the message compose screen.
Note: If the setting is not there – the feature may have been removed by your Android device manufacturer from their flavor of Android system software. It may also be available by another name. Contact your device manufacturer's support for more help.
Did you find this helpful?1 5
Mail servers all offer a default set of folders : Inbox, Sent, Drafts, Spam, Deleted.
Some providers also include their own folders such as Gmail's "All Mail", Yahoo's "Archive" and more.
Aqua Mail allows you to create folders (you can learn more about how to do this here), choose how to synchronize each folder, as well as configure push and notifications where the latter two are allowed by the mail server.
Commonly, there are three types of sync states:
- Do not sync - the app won't try to update this folder on normal schedule, you may still update it manually.
- Sync with "X" folder - you can select which folder you want your app to synchronize with manually. This is useful in cases where the default folder was not automatically recognized upon adding your account.
- Sync (plain folder) - this option is used for your Inbox and any custom folders which receive messages, assuming they need to be synchronized.
Did you find this helpful?2 5
Aqua Mail offers a variety of customization options for fine-tuning when and how often it checks for new messages, as well as whether to observe any data restrictions. This is all available in Settings > Mail, receiving.
The app allows for scheduled sync to occur at a defined interval (in minutes) as well as a specific time.
You may, for example, schedule your mail check at precisely 08:10:10 AM and every 30 minutes following by adjusting the mail check interval to 30 minutes, then configuring a time reference point of 08:10 AM, and lastly a settle in delay of 10 seconds.
Settle in delay is a useful tool for users running background optimization apps which limit network connectivity. Adding a few seconds of delay lets your network connect normally after the background optimizer has enabled Cellular or Wi-Fi connectivity on schedule.
Mail synchronization can also be event-triggered via the system's Auto-sync setting, device reboot or resume of the app.
Did you find this helpful?3
Aqua Mail limits the data you download during sync, mostly to preserve your mobile data cap. This is less relevant than it was several years ago but everyone's situation is different so we leave it on by default.
To adjust these settings from default, you simply need to open an e-mail with linked/embedded images inside.
- For Embedded images, tap the gear icon > Tap "Images and attachments" and choose how much information you want to preload from your embedded and attached files.
Go back, tap the same gear icon, then "Message text" and do the same.
Note: Preloading this information means it will be downloaded during scheduled synchronization of your mail.
- For linked images tap the gear icon and specify how you want to see images. You may choose to show images only from known contacts which you add to every time you allow an image or you can show images from everyone by disabling "Show only from known".
Did you find this helpful?
Aqua Mail has the ability to integrate tightly with your system contacts by displaying your contact names and photos. There are also options to indicate unknown senders (not in your contact list) and auto-save your message recipients in your phone's contact list.
These settings can be modified via the Contacts category in the app.
Note: Contacts permission is required for this and the app will request access.
Another option ease of use option is "Recent addresses". The app will provide you with a suggestions list of e-mail addresses you've received or sent mail to recently. These do not have to be from your phone's contacts list, though if the permission is granted it will be used as well.