The Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is designed to address the needs of both native English-speakers and students of English at upper-intermediate and advanced levels. The dictionary contains over 50,000 main and sub-entries, reflecting the status of English as the international language of communication.
The dictionary is completely up-to-date, with present-day expressions and vocabulary in science, technology, communications, the arts and humanities. Its goal is to provide information and teach active and appropriate use of words and phrases. Meanings are explained in simple vocabulary and grammar, without the use of abstract terms. The typical usage examples, rich in collocations, are corpus supported and packed with a wealth of information. Irregular plurals, spellings, pronunciations and phonetic transcriptions are all identified. Usage is indicated by labels such as formal, informal and slang. Notes are provided to cover grammatical problems in English, and other points that may be confusing for non-native speakers. Both British and American forms, meanings, spellings and pronunciations are given.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems.
A SEARCH TOOL
featuring search autocomplete to help you find words quickly by displaying predictions similar to the terms you're typing. You also get enhanced search extras including:
- A quick search of words while you type.
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
- Download dictionary definitions locally for offline word lookup.
A LEARNING TOOL
including a number of features that help you further enhance your vocabulary:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more using the included special language notes.
- See words in context with example sentences.
- 'Word-of-the-day' feature with dedicated homescreen widget.