The Kernerman Advanced English Dictionary is designed to address the needs of both native English-speakers and students of English at upper-intermediate and advanced levels. The dictionary contains over 50,000 main and sub-entries, reflecting the status of English as the international language of communication.
The dictionary is completely up-to-date, with present-day expressions and vocabulary in science, technology, communications, the arts and humanities. Its goal is to provide information and teach active and appropriate use of words and phrases. Meanings are explained in simple vocabulary and grammar, without the use of abstract terms. The typical usage examples, rich in collocations, are corpus supported and packed with a wealth of information. Irregular plurals, spellings, pronunciations and phonetic transcriptions are all identified. Usage is indicated by labels such as formal, informal and slang. Notes are provided to cover grammatical problems in English, and other points that may be confusing for non-native speakers. Both British and American forms, meanings, spellings and pronunciations are given.
NEW! With the addition of a convenient Home page, a sleeker and more intuitive visual layout, as well as innovations in the speed of searches you can delve right in faster and easier than ever!
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.Intelligent search integrates several tools to match or suggest what you are looking for:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Voice search function
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
- Swipe-to-delete functionality in the Recent and Favorites menus.
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
- ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- ‘Word of the day’ section to expand your vocabulary daily
- Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
- Split screen support for Android 7 allowing you to use dictionary together with other apps
- Permanently unlock the complete features list
- Offline mode - look up words without an internet connection
- Premium Support – Get expedited support for any app-related issues