Oxford Dictionary of Idioms takes a fresh look at the idiomatic phrases and sayings that make English the rich and intriguing language that it is.
- Contains over 6,000 idioms from all over the English-speaking world
- Hundreds of illustrative quotations, both modern and historical, offer readers a clear idea of how the phrases can be used
- Extra features offer fascinating additional information for many entries
- Easy to navigate, including many cross-references, making it ideal for quick reference.
- Most useful alternative words given first, with word closest in meaning to entry word given in bold
- Draws on the latest findings of Oxford's language monitoring - the largest dictionary research programme in the world
- Detailed background on every idiom
Did you know that 'flavour of the month' originated in a marketing campaign in American ice-cream parlours in the 1940s, when a particular flavour would be specially promoted for a month at a time? And did you know that 'off the cuff' refers to the rather messy practice of writing impromptu notes on one's shirt cuff before speaking in public?
These and many more idioms are explained and put into context in the Oxford Dictionary of English Idioms completed with a range of recently established idioms such as 'the elephant in the corner', 'go figure', 'like a rat up a drainpipe', 'sex on legs', 'step up to the plate', 'too posh to push', 'a walk in the park', 'win ugly'.
Also includes advanced search and language tools that have become the staple of quality language apps from MobiSystems, Inc.
SEARCH TOOLS - effortlessly find words thanks to a clear, functional, and easy-to-use interface.Intelligent search integrates several tools to match or suggest what you are looking for:
- Search autocomplete helps find words quickly by displaying predictions as you type
- Keyword lookup allows you to search within compound words and phrases
- An automatic ‘Fuzzy filter’ to correct word spelling, as well as ‘Wild card’ ('*' or '?') to replace a letter or entire parts of a word
- Camera search looks up words in the camera viewfinder and displays results
- Voice search function
- Share word definitions via installed apps on your device
LEARNING TOOLS - engaging features that help you further enhance your vocabulary.
- ‘Favorites’ feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library
- ‘Recent’ list to easily review looked-up words
- ‘Word of the day’ section to expand your vocabulary daily
- Home screen widget provides random words at a glance
Get MORE by purchasing the full version of the Oxford Dictionary of Idioms:
- Feature-complete license for unlimited time
- Offline mode - look up words without an internet connection
- Premium Support – our support team will help you