The Oxford A-Z of English Usage is a comprehensive guide to a wide range of proper English pronunciation, spelling, grammar, word usage, hyphenation, and more.
Containing a gold mine of useful advice on a wide array of common writing and speaking problems, the A-Z of English Usage features essential information about correct English that is needed on a day-to-day basis in a handy alphabetical sequence. Based on Oxford's world-leading dictionary research and contemporary language monitoring, it answers questions such as the difference between "principle" and "principal", why it's wrong to use "octopi" as the plural of "octopus", and whether to use "alumni" as the plural of "alumnus."
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring autocomplete search to help you find words quickly by seeing search predictions that might be similar to the search terms you're typing. The search also allows various search options as:
- A quick search of words while you type
- A ‘fuzzy filter’ when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
A LEARNING TOOL
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to grow your vocabulary further:
- A ‘Favorites’ feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words from the extensive library, which includes all cross-curriculum words
- History list to help you easily review the last visited words.
- Discover more about language with the special language notes
- See words in context with example sentences.