This revised Second Edition of the Oxford Dictionary of Astronomy contains over 4,300 up-to-date entries covering all aspects of astronomy. Compiled with the help of over 20 expert contributors under the editorship of author and broadcaster Ian Ridpath, Oxford's Dictionary of Astronomy covers everything from space exploration and the equipment involved, astrophysics, cosmology, and the concept of time.
The dictionary also includes biographical entries on eminent astronomers, as well as worldwide coverage of observatories and telescopes. Supplementary material is included in the appendices, such as tables on the Apollo lunar landing missions and the constellations, a table of planetary data, and others. Entries have been fully revised and updated for this edition, and new entries have been added to reflect the recent developments within the field of astronomy.
"This book is rich in peculiarities for the interested observer"--The Independent
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring autocomplete search to help you find words quickly by seeing search predictions that might be similar to the search terms you're typing. The search also allows various search options as:
- A quick search of words while you type
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
A LEARNING TOOL
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to grow your vocabulary further:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more about language with the special language notes
- See words in context with example sentences.