The best-selling Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms (formerly the Concise dictionary) provides clear and concise definitions of over 1,200 of the most troublesome literary terms. Now available in a new, fully updated and expanded edition, it offers readers increased coverage of new terms from modern critical and theoretical movements such as feminism, to schools of American poetry, Spanish verse forms, life writing, and crime fiction.
It includes extensive coverage of traditional drama, versification, rhetoric, and literary history, as well as updated and extended advice on recommended further reading and a pronunciation guide to more than 200 terms.
"This dictionary's virtues and its plain-spokenness make it...as apt to the bedside table as to the desk"--Times Literary Supplement
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring autocomplete search to help you find words quickly by seeing search predictions that might be similar to the search terms you're typing. The search also allows various search options as:
- A quick search of words while you type
- A ‘fuzzy filter’ when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
A LEARNING TOOL
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to grow your vocabulary further:
- A ‘Favorites’ feature allows you to create your own categories and lists of words from the extensive library, which includes all cross-curriculum words
- History list to help you easily review the last visited words.
- Discover more about language with the special language notes
- See words in context with example sentences.