The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Mathematics provides jargon-free definitions for over 3,000 of even the most technical mathematical terms. It covers all commonly encountered terms and concepts from pure and applied mathematics and statistics, such as linear algebra, optimization, nonlinear equations, and differential equations. In addition, there are entries on major mathematicians and topics of more general interest, such as fractals, game theory, and chaos.
You'll find graphs, diagrams, and charts to render definitions as comprehensible as possible, while entries are clear and accessible and offer an ideal introduction to the subject. Also included are lists of Nobel Prize winners and Fields' medalists, Greek letters, formulae, and tables of inequalities, moments of inertia, Roman numerals, and more. Fully featured with curriculum and degree requirements, it provides indispensable information for students and teachers of mathematics, and for anyone encountering mathematics in the workplace.
"The depth of information provided is admirable"--New Scientist
A SEARCH TOOL
Featuring autocomplete search to help you find words quickly by seeing search predictions that might be similar to the search terms you're typing. The search also allows various search options as:
- A quick search of words while you type
- A 'fuzzy filter' for when you are not sure of the correct spelling of a word.
- A 'keyword' search for finding key words within compound words.
- A wild card search function ('*' or '?') which can replace a letter or entire parts of a word.
A LEARNING TOOL
The dictionary app includes a number of features which help you to grow your vocabulary further:
- A 'Favorites' feature to create custom folders with lists of words from the extensive library, including cross-curriculum words.
- History list to help you easily review looked-up words.
- Discover more about language with the special language notes
- See words in context with example sentences.